32BJ HEALTH FUND FACTS
Press contact: HealthFund@32bjfunds.com
- The 32BJ Health Fund serves members of the SEIU 32BJ union and their families.
- The union members are cleaners, property maintenance workers, doorpersons, security officers, window cleaners, building engineers, school and food service workers, and airport workers in 11 states and Washington, DC.
- The Fund aggregates employer contributions from 5,000 employers, ranging from small businesses to global real estate firms, and uses these contributions to provide benefits to 200,000 people.
- Members pay $0 premium, $0 deductible and $0 copays for many preferred providers.
- The Fund has a unique relationship with its plan participants. Members of SEIU 32BJ get their insurance through the Health Fund, not their employer. Employees may be hesitant to discuss personal health issues with their employers but the Fund’s plan participants frequently contact the Fund for recommendations about healthcare providers and trust the information that the Fund provides.
- The Health Fund works with 32BJ and contributing employers to communicate regularly with members through conventional mailings, social media, and on-site workplace meetings to make sure members understand the benefits they are entitled to. The Fund also runs its own on-site call center to answer questions about its benefits.
- 91 percent of the Health Fund’s members say that they are satisfied with their insurance, and 88 percent of members trust the Health Fund to recommend programs to them.
32BJ HEALTH FUND IN THE MEDIA
July 14, 2021, | 32BJ Health Fund
Price Transparency Compliance Among NYC Hospitals
June 3, 2021, | 32BJ Health Fund
32BJ Health Fund Severs Ties with NewYork Presbyterian
May 12, 2021, | Gothamist
These NYC Boroughs Are the Most Expensive for Having a Baby
May 6, 2021, | NYS Health Foundation
Variations in Health Care Prices: The Problem Starts at Birth
February 18, 2021, | Tradeoffs.org
The High Price of Lowering Health Costs for 150 Million Americans32BJ Health Fund Names OptumRX Its New Pharmacy Benefits Manager
October 29, 2020 | 32BJ Health Fund
32BJ Health Fund Names OptumRX Its New Pharmacy Benefits Manager
January 30, 2020 | Bloomberg
How to Buy a Better Birth
December 12, 2019 | Bloomberg
New York Union Blames Out-of-Network Doctors for Millions in Costs
August 19, 2019 | Wall Street Journal
New York City Union Uses Its Size to Leverage Improved Maternity Care
May 29, 2019 | Modern Healthcare
Union Lowers Medical Bills with Direct Negotiations
May 17, 2019 | Crain’s New York Business
Employers are the ‘Sleeping Giants’ in Battle to Control Health Costs
March 9, 2019 | Managed Care Magazine
Tis Most Excellent: Union, Mount Sinai Find Happiness in Center of Excellence